Lost and Found (by Pam)

So as Toby, Sadie, and I got home today (in the rain) we jump out of the car and were unlocking the house when we noticed a toddler across the street. A little hispanic girl, in a diaper and T-shirt, wandering. (In the rain!) We watch her for a minute waiting to see who was with her, but no one else was in site.
She started to cross the street, so we went over to try to talk to her. She was nervous at first, and trying to say something. But 1st problem - she must have been about 1 1/2 maybe two at most and 2nd problem, the few words she was saying were in Spanish.
I understood Mama, and ahi (there), but she kept changing directions as I was talking to her and was getting farther and farther from where I found her.
A half hour after knocking on doors, talking to neighbors with no leads and with no one looking for her, I called the police.
Still no luck by the time police showed up. So I held her on the porch out of the rain while the officer went around knocking on doors and trying to find a lead somewhere. He told me if something didn't show up soon, he'd just call Family Services to come get her.
Not long after that we see some hispanic teenagers coming down the road just playing, and get there attention. They are all surprised and one says to the other "Hey, is that ???? with them, I thought she was upstairs?"
It appeared that they were supposed to be watching her on the next street over.
The officer followed them home and was there for a while before coming back to thank me and tell me that everything was okay now.
It made quite an impression on Toby and Sadie.
Sadie did a good job, offering her a doll, and keeping her happy, and Toby enjoyed helping look for her family. I was glad we found her before she wandered any further crossing streets in the rain.

Comments

Cindy Smith said…
Poor thing! I'm surprised she wandered out in the rain like that, I'm sure her mom was glad she was found by someone like you, scary to think what could have happened!